Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Background On the Surgery

Some background Dad wrote up before the surgery:
I just learned on Friday that I am going to have open-heart surgery on Monday. I had some exercise induced angina symptoms for the past three weeks and when I saw my PCP on Tuesday she told me to be seen very soon and (bless her heart) got me an appt on Friday Am with the specialist at AGH (Allegheny General Hospital, where I work) who had been highly recommended. He was excellent indeed in his time, manner, expertise and explanations. He sent me off for an angiogram with the expectation that they would need to put in a stent, but they discovered more than they anticipated, three arteries had narrowings, a 90%, 70% plus 80% (a double) in another, and a 50% in the third, sent me back to the room and a cardiac surgeon came by within 20 minutes and explained the situation.

Dr. Thomas Maher was recommended by the cardiologist. I am actually more content with having the surgery than a stent which I have some reservations about, but I know it's a difficult recovery. I am lucky to be a good candidate in that I don't smoke, am a hard regular exerciser, and haven't had diabetes or lung problems. It's the darn Jones family genes! I've been admitted to the hospital where I will be over the weekend and continuing on for 5-7 days after the Monday afternoon surgery 24 hours ICU after surgery (which should be about 3 hours) and then back to room. Our sweet son Michael is coming in on Sunday night and staying until Thursday AM to be with Melissa. Cards and/or emails are welcomed. Melissa will keep you all updated as we go along.

2 comments:

Bob said...

I am delighted that you are recovering so fast. When I stop to think about it, I am not surprised given your exercise routine.

Keep up the good work and get back to biking and rowing soon.

Anonymous said...

Stay strong and tough, and Get Well SOON. You and your whole family are in my thoughts. God Bless and keep you always well and healthy!

Elena