Friday, October 31, 2008

Steve continuing in good style

Steve really hasn't had any pain which amazes me - he had discomfort getting each breath the first day when he walked (itself a feat and not usual) which he now realizes would have been greatly eased if he’d taken a pain killer – (not explained to him until the 8:30pm night nurse said it would ease the breathing). So one Darvocet that night and one the next morning and that’s been it’s for the entire recovery – and he’s not being a martyr. Its hard getting in and out of bed because of the sternum zipper (which was glued – new one on me).He’s been getting more mobility each day – walked 6 plus times yesterday, doing all his self-care, only has one drain tube left which will probably come out today, reading etc. He’s a great patient, has charmed the staff up and down and his excellent recovery has made it easier on me. A slow road ahead, we both know, but I feel so blessed that it’s going so well.

Mike left yesterday around noon after a great visit that boosted both Steve and me– Rachel has been a huge comfort to us both with her particular knowledge of hospitals and being a patient and as more importantly just her very caring self – lots of long phone calls, a beautiful card with yellow fallen poplar leaves and a message she wrote that would be good for everyone - maybe I’ll post it sometime.

Major problem right now is my lack of time and I imagine that will ease up.

Much love to all and many many thanks for the prayers, thought s, support, jokes – we feel so lucky to have it all!

Melissa

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey, I thought I had been leaving comments, but after talking with Cassandra, realize I am doing something wrong. Nevertheless, we have been following all the updates and are delighted the recovery is going so well. Love to all.
Bert & Liz